Nookipedia App

Discussion in 'Wiki Proposals' started by mlnintendo97, Feb 4, 2012.

1. mlnintendo97 Nintendo GameCube fanboy

Message Count:
    Money:
    I have an idea that would attract a lot more attention to the wiki. I am proposing a app for iPhone, iPad, Android, and maybe Google Chrome. This would attract a lot more people to the site and maybe a lot more members to the forums as well. We could also even contact NIWA and see if they could possibly make this happen for all of the wikis. Here are the how to links so we could possibly get this started! :D
    Google Chrome: http://code.google.com/chrome/apps/docs/developers_guide.html
    iPhone: http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2009/08/11/how-to-create-your-first-iphone-application/
    iPad: http://ibuildapp.com/*

*http://ibuildapp.com/ also can make iPhone apps as well.
    Pigeon17, Robin Storm and chelle like this.
  2. Jake Administrator

Message Count:
    Money:
    I'm actually an Apple developer, so it's not entirely out of the question. I've been looking into ways to make this happen, and I've got a few ideas that might actually work. I'll keep you guys posted if I make any progress on it.

As for the Android/WP7 apps, I'd probably need someone else's help as I don't know Java/C#.
    Robin Storm likes this.
  3. mlnintendo97 Nintendo GameCube fanboy

Message Count:
    Money:
    well, I might be able to make a Google Chrome App for the Wiki. I will try my best! ;)
    Robin Storm likes this.
  4. Miku51 Moderator

Message Count:
    Money:
    I can certainly make a Windows Phone app :p
  5. Jake Administrator

Message Count:
    Money:
    As a Windows Phone (and iOS) user, I would love that. :cool:
    Robin Storm and mlnintendo97 like this.
  6. chelle Member

Message Count:
    Money:
    hey that would be very cool for any apps, but is there going to a app for the ipod...i have a ipod and i think it would be very good thing for the ipod!
    Totoro and Robin Storm like this.
  7. Robin Storm Member

Message Count:
    Money:
    I would like a Android app
  8. mlnintendo97 Nintendo GameCube fanboy

Message Count:
    Money:
    well, can u develop one?
    Robin Storm likes this.
  9. Robin Storm Member

Message Count:
    Money:
    no sorry. i don't know how you make an app.
  10. mlnintendo97 Nintendo GameCube fanboy

Message Count:
    Money:
    PEOPLE, POST ON THIS THREAD ONLY IF YOU WANT HELP CREATE IT, NOT COMMENT ON THIS JUST BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT. WE KNOW YOU WANT IT, WE ARE TRYING!!!!!! :)
    Robin Storm likes this.
  11. Robin Storm Member

Message Count:
    Money:
    okay.. sorry.
  12. mlnintendo97 Nintendo GameCube fanboy

Message Count:
    Money:
    STOP COMMENTING!!!!!! :mad:
    Robin Storm likes this.
  13. leem01 Wiki Admin

Message Count:
    Money:
    Please listen to mlnintendo97, we have the 'Like' button for a reason. I could try and do an Android app, make it support the Holo style and all that.
    Garb, Pigeon17, Avalonkp and 2 others like this.
  14. Quinny898 Member

Message Count:
    Money:
    Hey guys, ages since I've been here. I can build Android apps, and I know the code behind them, and so would be happy to help. I've been more recently concentrating on ROMs (firmwares), with the quite successful "Back to the Futureal" (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1678663)
    I have implemented the "Holo" theme into my apps (I hate not having a nice style on apps with versions of Android that can do better) and I would think you could implement the Chrome engine into the app, which automatically resizes certain texts on the page that are more important to be viewable on the zoomed out version of the web page
    mlnintendo97 likes this.
  15. Quinny898 Member

Message Count:
    Money:
    Oh, and I have a Google Play Shop account and can upload apps (and sell, if you want)
    mlnintendo97 likes this.
  16. mlnintendo97 Nintendo GameCube fanboy

Message Count:
    Money:
    Sorry for bumping the thread, but I tried something out on Safari on my iPod a while back to where it saves a link to your home screen. I tried this and got this result:

[IMG]

While it really isn't an app, it's more of an app launching another app. It's a nice try at an app though.
    SuperHamster likes this.
  17. Grekox Member

Message Count:
    Money:
    with activity falling and apps for info on games now i think we should make a move.
    i've fully designed a plan to pull this out and just want to know what you guys think.
    Garb and Miku51 like this.
  18. mlnintendo97 Nintendo GameCube fanboy

Message Count:
    Money:
    With a lot of people getting burnt out on New Leaf and not really looking for information on the game, I think if we were to do this now, it would be very late in the game. There is always the possibility of another Animal Crossing game for Wii U, but that most likely will not be coming out for about 3-5 years. While this would be a good idea as I suggested over a year ago, I think that now would not be the proper time for it. ;)
  19. Garb Member

Message Count:
    Money:
    Then why not search for ACNL information that the wiki is lacking (example the flower breeding guide) and update it with that New data.
  20. SuperHamster Kevin

Message Count:
    Money:
    If we do make an app, we need two concrete plans:
    • Who is going to make the app (we've all come up with ideas, but no one has actually started anything).
    • What the app will consist of.
    I don't think an application that simply views all our articles would be a hit - long articles don't read well on phones, and it's very generic. I think our best bet is focusing on specific content, and making an app centered on highlighting some of Nookipedia's key aspects.

One idea is could be placing all our game guides (hair style, flowers, etc.) in a single app. Problem is that many game guide apps like this already exist, and guides are definitely not Nookipedia's strongest area.

Something better, I think, would be villager lists. Our villager lists are one of our biggest hits, and the app would be both useful and simple enough to maintain. It could cover all the games, so it would appeal to all AC players.

I've been dabbling in Android development over the summer, and should be able to put something usable in regards to the villager lists. I'm busy now, but I'd love to start working on it in the coming weeks when I find time to do so. A simple starting point like this could open the doors for something bigger in the future :)
    mlnintendo97 and Grekox like this.